08 September 2008

Your Film Legacy?

The British Film Institute (BFI), as part of its 75th anniversary has asked a number of film industry insiders to name the film that they would most like to see passed down to future generations. You can check out the Guardian article on the story here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/sep/03/1. (Since it's a British project, it may come as little surprise that there are many British films cited.)

But I'm curious to know how you'd answer the question. It's a little different from "what's your favorite movie?" It's more like: if all the movies ever made were to be destroyed completely and irrevocably, what one movie would you save for posterity? And why?

2 comments:

vickie mc said...

I would say even though it's not a film, Phoenixville's version of Bye Bye Birdie. Just Kidding, Conrad Birdie,

I can think of three movies that I would leave for future generations, It hink that was the question...(Of course, I think of some classics, Citizen Kane, Schindlers List, The Best Years of our Lives, The Godfather)but here are some others.....

#1. Goodfella's--Martin Scorsese BEST, in my opinion and my very favorite movie....The editing alone (yay Thelma) makes this movie,and coming from an Italian family, (of course, not a mafia one, just a regular one) alot of it rings very true (as far as the wedding scene with tons of people named the same thing, to an old Italian lady waking up in the middle of the night and actually COOKING!!!!) Also, the shot of them going into the Copa (or wherever it was) is a classic. One shot that whole scene. Unbelievable. Plus the soundtrack is perfect, just perfect.

#2. Life is Beautiful. For me the story, the writing, the relationships, were so touching, I adore this movie.

#3. Harold and Maude. One of my favorite movies of all time. The music is great, the humor is dark, and Ruth Gordon and Bud Cort are terrific. Some people think this film gets dated, but I don't, The message in it is right on.

charlie mcgloughlin said...

I would choose Citizen Kane.

It really is our finest account to the greatness and the tragedy that is American life. No film comes remotely close to the penetrating examination of personal freedom, public persona, and overreaching greed that this film achieves. Exilhiration and devastation come in swift strokes, and the final twist at the end offers a crushing coda that forces the viewer to consider the forces that cause us to strive for the unattainable.

All this, and it hasnt dated much -- it still feels contempoarary to my eyes, some 60 years later.

A heroic film for a heroically flawed country, Citizen Kane would be my choice to express the innovation and isolation that comes with our American life.