28 October 2007

25+ Movie Moments that Make Me a Bit Weepy


Movies move me. In fact, sometimes when I'm having trouble feeling any emotion in my real life, unaided, movies help me reconnect to my own spirit, which sometimes results in elation or flashes of lucidity. But sometimes it's simply tears, and these are some of the movies and moments that tend to have that purging kind of effect on me.

1. The La Marsellaise scene in Casablanca
2. The last 25 minutes or so of Dancer in the Dark
3. The scene where Monty gets his best friend to beat his face to a bloody pulp in 25th Hour
4. Quite a bit of The Best Years of Our Lives
5. The ending of The Color Purple (which is embarrassing because it's so darn manipulative)
6. When the little girl doesn't actually get shot in Crash; also, when Jean Cabot confesses that she's angry all the time and doesn't know why (in fact, that chokes me up a little just thinking about it)
7. When a certain someone (don't want to include any spoilers if I can help it) dies in Crooklyn
8. Most of the last 1/3 or so of Dead Man Walking and several moments before that
9. Right after I finished watching Titanic and realized that I could never, ever get those 3 hours back!
10. OK, gotta admit that several bits at the end of Finding Neverland tend to get me every time, but so do several scenes in Hook
11. The "Remember My Forgotten Man" number in Gold Diggers of 1933, starting with the moment when Joan Blondell shows the street cop the medal inside the bum's jacket
12. The scene where Ophelia goes mad in just about any decent rendition of Hamlet
13. The Hours
14. It's hard not to embed a spoiler into this one, but there's about 15-20 minutes near the end of Jesus of Montreal that are deeply sad for me
15. Jean de Florette, but it's somehow a satisfying sadness
16. Once, almost every time the Guy and Girl sing together, and now whenever I hear those songs, and then especially when I learned what the Girl says to the Guy in Czech when he asks her if Girl still loves her husband back home (she says, "No, I love you," apparently).
17. In Magnolia, a few times (incl. "I have so much love to give, I just don't know where to put it" and "Dad? You need to be nicer to me.")
18. "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" in Meet Me in St. Louis.
19. In Memento, Leonard's soliloquy, esp. "So how... how can I heal? How am I supposed to heal if I can't... feel time?"
20. Oh, I feel like such a sap writing this but, yes, practically the whole second half of Moulin Rouge is heart-breaking.
21. Saving Private Ryan--and this is another example of getting just manhandled by Spielberg--at the end of the framing narrative ("Tell me I have led a good life...Tell me I'm a good man.")
22. Duh--Schindler's List, like, constantly (one moment, especially: "I could have gotten one more person... and I didn't! And I... I didn't!")
23. Ok, ok, I'm a sucker...Shakespeare in Love
24. and, while I'm at it, Love Actually, Sliding Doors, and who knows whatall other so-called "chick flicks"
25. several parts of Sunrise
26. When the guy has a catch with his dead father in Field of Dreams

Well, there are certainly others, but that's certainly a start. So, the moral of the story: I'm a sap!

No comments: